Women For Decency is now Betrayal Trauma Recovery. Women For Decency was founded to educate and mobilize women to protect families and communities from the pitfalls of pornography. Since 1999, the organization has evolved in a variety of ways, and many organizations have developed that now focus on different aspects the original mission. We still mobilize women to protect families and communities by partnering with the following organizations.
Betrayal Trauma Recovery helps women heal through connecting with God. Online support groups and support calls with nationally trained specialists. The National Center on Sexual Exploitation addresses the public health crisis of pornography and exposes the links between all forms of sexual exploitation Protect Young Minds provides education and practical tools to help parents raise kids who know how to reject pornography. White Ribbon Week programs build confident and resilient children who make conscious, positive choices in media and technology.
Utah Coalition Against Pornography helps people live happier lives free from pornography through education on the harms and solutions regarding pornography. SALifeline provides effective 12 Step groups for betrayal trauma and pornography addiction. Fight The New Drug helps individuals make informed decisions about pornography by raising awareness on its harmful effects. Educate & Empower Kids empowers families to create connections by providing resources that encourage conversation, activities and quality time.
Accomplishments and Endeavors
- Created The Cover it Up Campaign: Worked with Utah Retailers Association, Borders and Smiths to enforce present community standards requiring businesses to put hard plastic opaque covers on soft-porn magazines.
- Created S.P.E.A.K. model for women to use to discuss concerns about pornographic material with business owners.
- Initiated Child Internet Protection Act HB341 (2004) making Utah the first state to ensure “public use” computers are filtered prior to receiving state funding.
- Service on Utah Family Action Coalition Team (FACT) at the Utah State Capitol from 2012 – 2016.
- In 2001, Women For Decency helped create the Utah Coalition Against Pornography (UCAP), and has continued to help organize and find volunteers for UCAP since it was founded. UCAP is now the world’s largest yearly anti-pornography conference. Several members of Women For Decency have served as board members, including Janalyn Holt, Board Member, Advisory Council Chair; Judy Cox and Angela Page, UCAP Advisory Council, Polly Scott UCAP Advisory Council.
- Instituted White Ribbon Week in Utah public schools (2001-2015), promoted by PTAs in each school. This week focuses on education of children and parents in safe media use.
- Created two years of curriculum to be used in schools for White Ribbon Week.
- Produced a short video Pornography Is A Big Problem for YouTube to raise awareness.
- Worked with Deseret Book and Utah Coalition Against Pornography (UCAP) to produce the DVD Pornography, The Great Lie helping families combat the problem of pornography.
- Produced the booklet Learning To Smile Again empowering women who discover their’s husband’s pornography use.
- Sponsored Protecting Children and Families Conference for three years which then was given to the Utah Coalition Against Pornography (UCAP). UCAP has continued this yearly conference tradition.
- Involved in having PAC-SUN remove illicit merchandise from all Utah stores.
- Worked with other groups to have Utah City Councils pass a “Family Friendly Ordinance.”
- Has continually promoted education and solutions through an informational website, podcast and active social media accounts.
- Organized a youth rally at the Utah State capitol for two years. This rally encouraged youth to sign a pledge against pornography.
- For four years, organized a traveling assembly in conjunction with Jan Brady, performed by high school students for children at the elementary school level called Protect Their Minds.
- Women for Decency was consulted by KSL Investigative reporter Debbie Dujanovic about Facebook and decency standards.
- Promoted Pummel Pornography 5k and raised awareness that boys AND girls are using pornography.
- Opened a regional office of Women for Decency in Johns Creek, GA and held the first Georgia Coalition meeting.
- Attended Set Free Summit.
- Participated in North Fulton County, GA United Way THRIVE Planning Meetings on Well-Being of Children.
- Organized Shine the Light on Pornography: Atlanta, including Fight the New Drug parent presentation at Johns Creek High School.
- Interviewed by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and TBN.
- Organized a library Initiative for Protect Young Minds.
Our Current Focus
Because other organizations have formed that help women protect their children and communities, we now focus on helping the women who are deeply effected by pornography in their own homes.
Betrayal Trauma Recovery leads women to use recovery tools as they deal with a husband’s pornography addiction and emotional abuse, teaching them the skills to keep their homes safe from the behaviors of active addicts. We believe that any effort to heal the world without first healing ourselves only prolongs our pain and does not solve the core problems that enable abuse and addiction. We have found through painful personal experience that leading the charge against pornography without healing ourselves and our homes intensifies the chaos.
Betrayal Trauma Recovery aims to mobilize a mighty army of healthy women and literally bring down the pornography industry through the simple tools of recovery – surrendering, setting boundaries, and taking care of ourselves. Women learn these – and other – amazing tools as they work with our professional APSATS coaches.
Once women have worked on their own recovery, stabilized, and healed their home, we encourage them to join the fight against this pandemic by helping us or one of our partner organizations.