When a woman experiences intimate betrayal, she may experience Betrayal Trauma. Betrayal Trauma can be a profoundly serious and debilitating reality for many.
Betrayal Trauma & Emotional Abuse
A partner’s intimate betrayal (including secret pornography use) is often the tip of the iceberg. Emotionally and psychologically abusive behaviors, including:
- Financial secrecy,
- Sexual coercion,
- Spiritual abuse, and
- Coercive control
are also present – and deeply harmful.
Betrayal Trauma Manifests in Physical Symptoms
Women suffering from Betrayal Trauma will experience it in many different ways, no two women will have the same experience. Below is a list of some common symptoms of Betrayal Trauma.
Common Physical Symptoms of Betrayal Trauma
- Lack of appetite/Constant hunger
- Difficulty sleeping
- Nerve pain
- Autoimmune disease-like symptoms
- Panic attacks
- Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea
- Tremors, Shaking, Shivering
- Unexplained Fever
- Unexplained joint pain
- Pelvic/sexual pain
- Constant infections
- Migraine and/or tension headaches
- Muscle pain/weakness
* If you are experiencing physical symptoms, please seek medical care. Medical care is an essential pillar in the self-care that will help you heal from Betrayal Trauma.
Betrayal Trauma Manifests in Emotional and Mental Symptoms
Many women find that Betrayal Trauma shows in their emotional and mental states.
Common Emotional and Mental Symptoms of Betrayal Trauma
- Panic and/or Anxiety attacks
- Suicidal ideation
- Inability to focus
- Reliving traumatic experiences (flashbacks)
- Mood swings
* If you are experiencing these symptoms, please seek appropriate care. Emotional and mental care is an essential pillar in the self-care that will help you heal from Betrayal Trauma.
BTR.ORG is Here For You
The devastation and grief that accompanies betrayal trauma can be overwhelming. Victims deserve support, compassion, and understanding as they navigate this painful new reality.
BTR.ORG is here for you – whether it’s Anne’s reassurance on The BTR.ORG Podcast, or the professional guidance of our BTR.ORG Coaches, we will be with you every step of the way as you work toward healing and peace.
And remember, you are not alone.