Are You a Victim of Partner Rape?
Partner Rape Looks Like This:
- A man ignoring his partner’s repeated “no”, or “talking her into it”.
- A man repeatedly asking for sex and making life unbearable for his partner until she gives in to his demands. (This is often done by keeping her awake until she is too tired to keep saying no, threatening to hurt himself or someone else if she doesn’t give in, or knowingly pressing her most emotional buttons until she caves).
- “Incrementally raping” a woman by agreeing not to penetrate, but asking for other sexual favors, then gradually forcing himself upon her.
- Normalizing his expectations: making claims that because he is male, he deserves/needs/requires sexual contact and that it is her duty as his partner to give in to his demands.
- Any degree of physical force or intimidation intended to get her to give in.
- A man giving his partner drugs or alcohol to get her to be more willing to comply with his sexual demands.
- “Sexual Blackmail”: a man saying that he did ____, so she owes him sex.
- Implying or overtly stating that if she does not comply with his demands that he will “get it” elsewhere.
- Sulking, acting with resentment, yelling, crying, or punishing the victim when she says no.
Is Healing Possible?
It is no wonder that so many victims of betrayal trauma and emotional abuse suffer from chronic pelvic and sexual pain. When women are repeatedly sexually coerced and raped by their partners, it stands to reason that their bodies will suffer.
Each woman’s situation is different, and what she will need to heal from the pain of abuse is unique as she is.
Please know that if you have or are enduring sexual assault, you deserve safety and healing.
BTR.ORG Is Here For You
Tune in to The BTR.ORG Podcast and hear other abuse victims’ stories of survival and triumph over abuse.